ERYC – Spring Term 2010
From: EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE COUNCIL
Sent to: Governing Bodies of all Schools
Dated: Spring Term 2010
The East Riding Association of Governing Bodies makes representations at local, regional and national level as the collective voice of all governors of children’s centres, schools and colleges throughout the East Riding.
Full details of the ERAGB Council membership and the role of ERAGB are contained in Annexe A. The information contained in this Annexe is important in considering the Recommendation below.
B Recommendation to Governing Bodies
a) That each governing body nominate a governor representative who will act as the ‘link’ person to ERAGB
b) That the nominated governor’s name, postal and email address are sent to the ERAGB Secretary Janet Slater on 01482 655066 or email@example.com
Iain Edmiston, Senior Governors’ Support Officer
01482 392443 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The East Riding Association of Governing Bodies
Why do we need ERAGB?
ERAGB was set up in 2005 to promote, support and foster the good governance of schools in the East Riding. ERAGB aims to:
- be an independent, democratic forum for all governing bodies in the East Riding
- support those governing bodies in furthering the advancement of education and the interests of children and young people learning within the East Riding
- act as the consultative body on behalf of East Riding governing bodies
- be the vehicle for expressing the collective views of East Riding governing bodies and to make appropriate representations at local, regional and national levels.
What does ERAGB do?
ERAGB represents the collective voice of all governors of children’s centres, schools and colleges throughout the East Riding. The ERAGB Council members:
- meet regularly with the Assistant Director of Children, Family and Adult Services and on occasions with the Director
- raise matters of interest, discuss areas of concern and consult on a wide range of issues which our members ask us to explore.
- work closely with East Riding Officers and value their considerable support.
- collaborate with School Improvement and Governor Support Services in organising an annual Conference for Governors.
- provide impartial information of interest to governors through our termly mailing ‘The ER Governor’.
- maintain an active website full of current news and information for governors www.eragb.net
- produce useful, practical guides and publications to help governors in their work. In the past two years we have published: ‘Are We Doing What We Are Supposed To Be Doing?’, ‘Information and Guidance for New Governors of Schools in the East Riding of Yorkshire’ and ‘Every Child Matters: A Resource Pack for Governors’.
We are members of the National Governor Association and we attend regional NGA meetings and national conferences.
Who are the ERAGB officers?
Between us we bring many decades of experience as governors and from the world of work, including teaching, lecturing, headship, educational administration, OFSTED inspections and the business community. We are:
Chair: Vincent Barrett (Driffield Junior School)
Vice Chair: Sue Gollop (New Pasture Lane Primary School/Bridlington School Sports College)
Secretary: Janet Slater (Wolfreton School Language College)
Treasurer: Jeremy Glover (South Holderness School Technology College)
Council Members: Stuart Dransfield (Rawcliffe Primary School);
Trevor Langton (Goole High School);
Sue Tite (Cowick C of E Primary School);
Roy White (North Ferriby Primary School).
Why should your school support ERAGB?
- To help make our collective voice as governors heard at local, regional and national level.
- To access support from governor colleagues in order to become increasingly effective in your role.
- To share good practice in governance.
- To be kept informed of the ever-changing government legislation affecting early years, school and college governors.
What should you do next?
Please nominate a governor to act as your ERAGB representative. We are always seeking new Council members; for more information please contact either ERAGB…
Secretary: Janet Slater 01482 655066 email@example.com
Or Chair: Vince Barrett 01377 200216 firstname.lastname@example.org